Monday, May 9, 2011

The difference between thinking and doing

I often think that I am a certain type of person, and to be fair I was before I become ill, but I started to realize who I thought I was and the actions I actually took were not really the same anymore.  I have always considered myself an outdoorsy person, but there is many a beautiful day where I remain inside and just look out upon the world or hide myself in bed. Sure, much of this is due to not feeling well and needing to avoid being in the sun too long, but there have been other times when I COULD have gone out and done the things I used to enjoy; being outside, walking, poking about in the yard, making a fire at night, where I didn't do them.  So can I say I'm outdoorsy when I rarely spend time being outside and more time thinking about it or being a couch potato? There's a big discrepancy there.  Outdoorsy is who I WANT to be, but haven't been following through on, whatever the reason, and so I wonder if I am lying to myself about it. 
I spend a lot of time looking at art and design on the internet but not actually doing any of my own.  There comes a time when soaking up influences and gathering information becomes of diminishing returns if there is no end product to it.  I've people close to me who talk all about their ideas and what they're going to do and want to do, yet they never actually sit down and do it.  Now have I become the same as they? Basically yes.  This was a very harsh realization.  After a while all the good ideas and 'potential' mean nothing if they are not acted upon.  You may notice others in your life who are prolific artists or doers. They don't spend all their energy talking about their ideas but DO them instead.  And yes, that is who I want to become and really own. 
I read a lot about Buddhism and Zen, but the main concept there is doing the meditation which I seem to rarely take time to do.  What is the use of my studying something I want to be a part of my life if I am not living it?  One could say the same about those who believe in a concept, way of life, religion, etc. but fail to make it part of who they are.  They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions - I intended to be creative; I intended to write; I intended to meditate; to be a good person, etc.- but I never really followed through.  We are not just our thoughts, we are very much our actions and that counts in all aspects of our lives.  This has definitely made me take a serious look at myself and has not been an easy sight to behold.  I cannot blame all my inaction on being ill or depressed, or what have you, I have to own my life and actions, too. 
I'm slowly learning that I've read enough books, etc. that it's time to do and not just read, study and think about it.  Now to take that big step...and do.  It's remarkable how intimidating it is and for the life of me I cannot image why other than a fear of failure, but it's not like I've got a darned thing better to do.  So even if I fail at what I attempt I will at least have something to show for myself other than I've just sat around thinking about it. That helps no one, especially not me, and so it's time to learn from this mistake and do something about it.  There are legitimate things to fear so why does the idea evoke a feeling of fear and anxiety within me? 



I am actually going to go meditate on this now.  An action.

No comments:

Post a Comment